Discover the story behind the remarkable culinary delight and savoury taste of the best Swiss cheeses on a 2.5 hrs. private guided tour through out 2 km. cave tunnels with a cheese tasting included. Depart from Lucerne in a comfortable and new car or minivan driving from 30 min. through the picturesque Swiss country side. The cave lies in a little village close to Lucerne city, nestled among rolling hills and fragrant meadows. Experience this natural wonder guided by a cave master. As you walk through the labyrinth, you will gain rare insights into the world of cheese refinement. At the end of your excursion through the fascinating sandstone cave, you can finally try some award-wining swiss cheese. Round off the cave experience with a tasting of our fine cave-aged cheese specialties and discover with which noble ingredients the enjoyment can be refined. (Traditional Swiss Fondue can be chosen as an option after the cave tour)
What to Expect
You will get an introduction to the history of the cave and experience it up close. The cave visit will be a very special experience, as you will see how the cheeses are treated with patience and love so that they will mature optimally in the cave. The tour will be rounded off with a culinary part.
In the middle of Switzerland, hidden among hills near Lucerne, lies the Cave. Water and ice formed it 20 million years ago. The temperature in the cave remain a constant of 12.5 C. degrees. Discovered in 1953 by chance, this climate has a special effect on cheese. The cave is not only a unique place of cheese refinement, but an experience for all Senses.
Only the very best cheese wheels from selected dairies are chosen for cave aging, where they are then carefully refined by our cave masters – until each cheese becomes a genuine culinary masterpiece.
The role of a cave master isn’t an official career. You become a cheese expert. The specific knowledge required for the production of cheese in a natural setting, like the particular characteristics and trials of the ripening process is passed on from cave master to cave master. This feeling can’t be taught, but naturally develops after years of experience. The art of cheese refinement in our cave is a secret technique that has never been written down, as the knowledge has been passed down from cave master to cave master and from one generation to the next for over 20 years.
When it comes to quality, a fine cheese is like a fine wine. The full flavour is only brought out by selecting the best cheese, refining it in the best climate conditions and giving it the right care.
After the tour, we warmly welcome you in the lounge, where we spoil you with our cheese specialties(included in the tour)
- Entrance fees
- Fuel surcharge
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (Lucerne Hotels) We can also pick you and drop you off at Hotels in Basel, Zürich and Bern for an extra charge
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Cheese tasting, bread, snacks and non alcoholic drinks
- Cave Guided Tour
- Traditional Swiss Fondue (tour optional) 2.5 hrs guided cheese tour accompanied with a traditional creamy fondue, bread in bite-sized pieces, Alpine mineral water, 2 cl cherry, coffee or tea of your choice.
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Travel Insurance
CHF 790 (up to 6 persons) Cheese Tour + Tasting + Aperitif
Our pricing is per Tour NOT per person so if there are 3 or more in your group, you’ll probably pay less than if you took a big tour.
CHF 950 (up to 6 persons) Cheese Tour + Fondue
Book your excursion here or contact us directly to +41 76 2618641
Departure time and meeting point:
– Hotel Pick up and Drop off
– Departure Time: 14:00 (Contact us to arrange a different starting time if available)
– Duration: 2.5 hours
– Availability from Monday to Saturday
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- In the Cave there is a pleasantly cool and constant temperature of 12.5 C. degrees throughout the year. Please dress accordingly, so that you feel comfortable in our cave. You will receive at the entrance protective clothing, which ensures hygiene in the cave.
- A good physical condition is a prerequisite to participate in the cave tour. The cave visit is made on foot. We ask for your understanding that for safety reasons no persons with walking difficulties can take part in the Cave Tour.
PD e-Gift Card
Give someone you know a PD e-Gift Card, good toward any of our Photo & Cultural Photo Tours, Workshops, Private Guided Tours, or Prints. For those in a rush or living outside Switzerland, we will send you a printable eCard. PD e-Gift Cards are fully transferable and have NO expiration date. They are available in any amount from CHF 49 – CFH 950. It makes a great gift for someone who loves photography or travel. Order now, or email us for more information.