(From mid. October to mid. November)
Every year we celebrate the Alpine Harvest together with the thanksgiving from middle October to the beginning of November. Fall is the season of harvest, which means not only giving thanks to god, but also taking produce to market and stocking up for winter. Harvest thanksgiving are held in numerous places throughout the country and this alpine festivity is already mentioned in the 17th century and is linked to a very specific alpine life style, traditions and believes. Women wearing their most precious costumes, the “Butzi” a forest ghost-like creature, the flag-swinging, the folk sounds of the folk music, the yodelling and the village beat: all this belongs to the Alpine Harvest Festivities!!!
What to Expect
This photography tour will take you through the heart of the Swiss Alps, opening you up to many unique photography opportunities. Lead by our photography mentor who is one of the finest travel photographers in the country, this tour will also feature unparalleled local knowledge offered by our Photographer – Luis Medina, who understand Switzerland like no one else does.
What we found unique about the Swiss Festivals however is how eclectic they are. Close your eyes, and mix this in with the beautiful mountain surroundings of the Alps. Open your eyes now and let the colours and sights of this mesmerizing festival in, which will remain lingering on for a lifetime!
The end of summer is marked in many alpine areas by fairs known as “Chilbis”. Children’s games and market stalls invade village streets where the locals sample the traditional sweets of Magen Brot (cookies) and Apfel-Chüchli (deep fried apples), or gather together under tents for a cheesy dish of raclette, bratwurst, wine and beer or hot specialty coffees.
Celebrations start in the church, piled high with fruit, vegetables and huge mountain cheeses, and continue through the day. After the service everyone is offered an apéritif on the town square. Wild men and women, the butzi, dressed in skins and moss and armed with small trees attached to long poles, chase the children, and throw them sweets. Later comes the parade of floats where themes of local life are displayed.
And while other trips might say they are offering once in a life time experience, it is true of this photo tour. Alpine festivals in Switzerland are relatively unknown, and you will be amazed of the wide range of customs which will give you a better understanding of the Swiss as a whole nation.
So don’t miss this incredible opportunity and join us this Autumn on an enthralling experience in the festive atmosphere of the Cow parade. Take the photographs you can’t anywhere else, and tell the story with outstanding images of the magic and mystery of the Swiss Alps through its people and landscapes.
We will also have a time to discover new techniques and share some one-on-one time to help you with your creative journey.
– Photograph the harvest festival which is a rare opportunity for visitors to get a close-up to the alpine tradition.
– Full Escorted private tour from Lucerne.
– Tour Accompanied by a professional travel photographer to show you how to take better pictures.
– Enjoy the Swiss Folk: Alphorn players, flag throwing and singing groups.
– Discover outstanding landscapes in the Swiss Alps (extension)
– This tour can be tailor to your interests and for instance combine it with a visit to the swiss alps nearby. Landscape and cultural sightseeing blend easily in Switzerland!!!
– Boat ride back to Lucerne ( not included )
Departure time and meeting point:
– At the “Torbogen” Big arch monument in front of the train station
– We will leave early morning (7:30 am ) to get the most out of the Festival. We can also leave later if you want to.
– From mid October to the beginning of November every year
– Contact us to verify the departure date. The Festival dates can change every year.
CHF 500 (up to 6 persons)
Our pricing is per Tour NOT per person so if there are 3 or more in your group, you’ll probably pay less than if you took a big tour.
Book your excursion here or contact us directly to +41 76 2618641
Landscape and cultural sightseeing blend easily in Switzerland – In our tour extention, you will have the chance to combine your festival experience with an adventure trip to the swiss alps. Come and join us in a full day tour plenty of long lasting experiences and photography opportunities.
Mountain Extension: CHF 370
– Four hour full escorted tour during the festival.
– Photo shooting on location with some of the performers.
– Professional travel photographer.
– Photography assistance and tips to take better photographs.
– Private on line gallery with the festival images to download.
– Four hour escorted tour throughout the Alps ( just by choosing the extension )
– Food and beverages
– Private expenses
– Travel insurance
– Gratuities (optional)
– Photography equipment
– Transportation to the festival ( train and boat ride total cost per person CHF 70 approx. )
– Cable cars tickets to the Swiss Alps (for the extension option an extra cable car ticket must be purchased CHF 47.70)
– Swiss Travel Pass holders get a 50% discount in travel all costs.